- A shadowy figure who pulls the strings behind the scenes.
- Built like DNA but without the double twist.
- Three letter name means ribonucleic acid.
I will always live in the shadow of my dazzling cousin, DNA. It’s unfair - DNA gets all the
attention for just holding the secrets of life. I’m the one who does all the work!
attention for just holding the secrets of life. I’m the one who does all the work!
I’m much too busy to sit around doing nothing all day like DNA. As one of the few molecules
allowed to slip in and out of the nucleus, I can get everywhere. Like a spy selling secrets,
I make a copy of DNA’s genetic manual and spread it through the cell.
allowed to slip in and out of the nucleus, I can get everywhere. Like a spy selling secrets,
I make a copy of DNA’s genetic manual and spread it through the cell.
I unravel DNA’s double helix into two strands and then mold my body to fit with one of them.
Then, with the help Ribosomes, the master code breakers in Cell, I follow the instructions in
the manual and make the molecules that the body’s workers need.
Then, with the help Ribosomes, the master code breakers in Cell, I follow the instructions in
the manual and make the molecules that the body’s workers need.
- Date of discovery: 1939
- Average size: 0.35 μm
- Viruses that use RNA: retroviruses such as HIV
adapted from Basher Biology 2008